RSS
Hello!!! The name's Mervin. Loves photography, shopping, coffee, and my friends. I can fill this little section with so much crap to scare you away, but... enough, I think? XD

The Ball Ball. - 23.12.09

Guo Dong (I think that's the pinyin) is a Chinese festival where everyone goes back to their hometowns, and eats glutinous rice balls called Tong Yun. Yummy!

But with exams that close from our faces, me and the coursemates can't possibly go back home. So it all started with a random idea "Eh, Tuesday we make tong yun!". Everyone instantly agreed.

PREP: Rice flour. Sugar. Pandan leaves. Ginger.

And yeeeeeap, all set.

Let me be clear that we are all extreme noobs at making tong yun. ZERO EXPERIENCE. And so someone started off the day with searching for instructions on the Internet, which, IMHO, came in more of a hindrance than help.

Peggy repeatedly called her mom for advice (much better than what that someone gave). You should've seen her phone literally covered in flour when she was done!!! Haha.

Sam came to help for a liiiiiiiiiiitle while. Just to finish up his own masterpiece.

All seemed well when it came out of the pot. But I don't think it was when he spat the giant out. =P

Meanwhile, two chefs backstage helped make the sugar water.

And yeah, yeah. I like to be clean. I peeled the ginger skin off. Cut it into slices.

But nooooo, all I got was how stupid I am, that ginger skins should be kept on, and cutting it into slices would reduce the taste. Not once, mind you - REPEATEDLY.

Oh well. The result of our hard work?

It didnt taste like tong yun to me. It tasted like ginger ale. No. Make that worse than ginger ale. Ugh. One bite and I didn't want anymore.
Never mind that.

My coursemates are like this... big group. We do things for each other, copy each other's answers *ahem*, eat together, do most stuff together. Naturally, we'd make some for those who weren't there. And while we were at it, why not play a game? It's called.... the Balls Of Fortune.

Diiiiiiiisgusting name, but screw it!

It's where we stuff some secret ingredients into the balls, and if you're lucky, you get a mouthful of heaven, with the gula melaka bursting out. BUT!!!!!

LMAO. Laughed so hard thinking of the expressions on those poor faces the next day.

Also, Hazel requested for some coffee flavoured ones (WTF?). Weird combination,,really. And you know what's the weirdest of it?

THE COLOR. *jeng jeng!*

Two words : Uber weirdness. Didn't exactly taste like coffee in the end. But as long as laughter is in the process, I will be satisfied. :-)

Cleaned up, and spent the night at Kok Jun's house, where I was totally, TOTALLY unprepared for any overnight slumber parties. No towel, no toothbrush, no spare clothes! Imagine having to use your shirt as a towel. What was more?

My shirt's not the absorbent kind laaaah.

In the end, Jun borrowed me another shirt. Funnily, his shirts smell like mine. Hehe. Not the smelly kind of smell okay, but the... er.... warm (?!?!?!) kind of smell. Can't find the words to describe it.

Smelling is believing!

Had another dose of laughter with his roomate.

Roomie: "Not fun laah, this boy knows Mandarin... Cantonese lerh?" (in Mandarin)
Kok Jun, Me : "Yeah, can."
Roomie: "Hokkien lerh?"
Me : "Crap."
Kok Jun : "Oh, that one then cannot! *lol*"

And they proceeded to talk in Hokkien. To hell with my banana status, seriously.


Yours truly,
Mervin, I'm not satisfied. More tong yun, please.

P.S.

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 You'll Know It's Mervin.. All rights reserved.